History of Taynuilt
The area around the Taynuilt has been occupied for thousands of years with numerous ancient duns, standing stones and other venerable features scattered throughout the area. The first recorded historic feature is the church site which has been occupied since Celtic times right through to the present church which was constructed in 1829 next to the remains of the medieval church. The village grew as a widespread cluster of small communities in and around the present village and these still have names that are used today to distinguish areas of the village such as Kirkton, Hafton, Airds, etc. Once the railway came the village grew rapidly reaching its present population of 800 and is still growing as a popular place to live due to the beautiful surrounding scenery, excellent primary school, friendly community spirit and ideal location on the main road/railway line.